TMI Annual Convention
Policy, Practice & Progress
This year's Convention sees 2 significant changes:
- Shorter - we've shortened it slightly in recognition of people's busy schedules
- Later - we've also make it later in the year, avoiding clashes with other events
The Convention is in Stoke-on-Trent, starting in the afternoon of Monday 10th November and continuing through Tuesday 11th. Monday sees optional study tours to Emma Bridgewater factory and Potteries Museum, offering a chance to see and hear about the Staffordshire Hoard. That evening will start at 6pm with an update from James Berresford, Chief Executive of VisitEngland, followed by team building and an included buffet dinner.
Tuesday will start early with the TMI AGM, progessing onto presentations on Policy in the year leading up to the next election, on the Practice of regeneration and innovation in tourism, and on Progress in development and thinking. Confirmed speakers to date include:
- Victor T.C. Middleton - 'Reflections on Tourism Development'
- Matthew Rice, Emma Bridgewater - 'The Emma Bridgwater story & regeneration of Stoke on Trent'
- David Edwards, VisitBritain - 'International Tourism Trends'
- John Till, thinkingplace - 'Destination Branding: story telling & story doing'
- Kurt Janson, Tourism Alliance - 'Pre Election Tourism Policies'
- Mo Aswat, The Mosaic Partnership - 'Making BIDS work'
- Constantia Anastasaidou, Edinburgh Napier University - 'Scottish & Danish destinations'
- Ian Thomas & Kevin Millington, NGI & ACORN T-Stats - 'Destination benchmaking case study'
The draft programme can be seen HERE. The planned finish time on Tuesday is 1640.
Stoke is a superbly-well connected city, with direct train connections from London, the North West and South West as well as excellent motorway access. The Convention is hosted at the 4 star Moat House Hotel on Festival Park in Stoke on Trent, the city's premier hotel, with the whole Convention taking place on site and with special room rates available to delegates.
Delegate rates start at £115 for TMI Members booking by the EARLY BIRD deadline of 24th October, with attractive rate for Students, Tourism Society members and Non-Members. TMI members may also bring non-member guests for just £95. Please book your place(s) and accommodation as early as possible, following the links on this site.
Whether old friends and or new ones, we look forward to seeing you in Stoke.
© 2014 TMI Trading. Website and hosting provided by Direct Tourism Services